Monday, April 15, 2013

Back to the Blog

I'm back, I guess.  I thought of this poem today by Mary Oliver and needed a place to share it.  Please enjoy and post a comment so I know this blogging thing is worth it.

The Place I Want to Get Back To

is where
  in the pinewoods
     in the moments between
        the darkness

and first light
   two deer
      came walking down the hill
          and when they saw me

they said to each other, okay,
    this one is okay,
       let's see who she is
          and why she is sitting

on the ground, like that,
    so quiet, as if
        asleep, or in a dream,
             but anyway, harmless;

and so they came
   on slender legs
       and  gazed upon me
           not unlike the way

I go out  to the dunes and look
    and look and look
        into the faces of the flowers;
           and then one of them leaned forward

and nuzzled my heand, and what can my life
    bring to me that could exceed
       that brief moment?
           For twenty years

I have gone every day to the same woods
    not waiting, exactly, just lingering.
       Such gifts, bestowed,
           can't be repeated.

If you want to talk about this
    come to visit.  I live in the house
        near the corner, which I have named
            Gratitude.

--Mary Oliver (from Thirst, Beacon Press, (c) 2006)

No comments:

Post a Comment